Future Perfect & On Call: COVID-19
Two New Operas for Today
from Tales of Transcendence
Founded in 2010, Bellissima Opera serves as an incubator for new classical works for voice. Through the medium of music and theatre, we honor the stories and give voice to the individuals and groups transcending the human divide. We seek to engage creators, production staff, artists and audiences as diverse as Chicagoland itself.
- Launching day for our opera premiere: “On Call: COVID-19”It’s Launch Day! Tickets for On Call: Covid-19 Opera just dropped. The first of our Tales of Transcendence series, On Call: COVID-19 takes us to the online gathering of six medics from around the world who help each other confront the pandemic crisis with compassion and kindness. On sale at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5092525 Join the private artists MeetContinue reading “Launching day for our opera premiere: “On Call: COVID-19””
- Our operas come highly recommended!Hello, I’m Carl Ratner and I am the Director of Opera at Western Michigan University and the former Artistic Director of Chicago Opera Theater and Chamber Opera Chicago. I am currently involved in three productions of two different operas with music by David Shenton and libretto by Christine Steyer. I am directing both theContinue reading “Our operas come highly recommended!”
- Operas premiere in 2021/2022Tales of Transcendence: Intimate operas celebrating stories of everyday people who, as individuals and groups, have transcended the human divide. Working In Concert’s Bellissima Opera will premiere live in 2022, at the Vittum Theater in Chicago. FUTURE PERFECT (a full length opera) co-created with 1,300 Chicago area youth. This opera tells the adventures of Miranette, an intuitive and curiousContinue reading “Operas premiere in 2021/2022”
- RadioWHOLE NOTES – Music of Healing and PeaceAired on 98.7 WFMT on December 13, 2019 This 60-minute program, featuring cellist Yo-Yo Ma, soprano Christine Steyer and others, features music in response to gun violence in our cities. Steyer and pianist Marta Johnson perform the aria “Red is a Trick” from Bellissima’s upcoming opera, Future Perfect by David Shenton, lyricsContinue reading “Radio”
- VideoArtist-led music and poetry sessions in classrooms result in student art and writings. Bellissima Opera’s five-year project with 1,300 Chicago area youth culminates in the opera Future Perfect. Produced by Working In Concert’s Bellissima Opera, Future Perfect and On Call premiere at the Vittum Theater in Chicago in June 2021.