Future Perfect & On Call: Covid-19
Two New Operas for Today premiering in Chicago, June 2021
from Tales of Transcendence
Founded in 2010, Bellissima Opera serves as an incubator for new classical works for voice. Through the medium of music and theatre, we honor the stories and give voice to the individuals and groups transcending the human divide. We seek to engage creators, production staff, artists and audiences as diverse as Chicagoland itself.
- Our operas come highly recommended!Hello, I’m Carl Ratner and I am the Director of Opera at Western Michigan University and the former Artistic Director of Chicago Opera Theater and Chamber Opera Chicago. I am currently involved in three productions of two different operas with music by David Shenton and libretto by Christine Steyer. I am directing both theContinue reading “Our operas come highly recommended!”
- Opera premieres in 2021Tales of Transcendence: Intimate operas celebrating stories of everyday people who, as individuals and groups, have transcended the human divide. In June 2021, Working In Concert’s Bellissima Opera will premiere, live at the Vittum Theater in Chicago: FUTURE PERFECT (a full length opera) co-created with 1,300 Chicago area youth. This opera tells the adventures of Miranette, an intuitive andContinue reading “Opera premieres in 2021”
- RadioWHOLE NOTES – Music of Healing and PeaceAired on 98.7 WFMT on December 13, 2019 This 60-minute program, featuring cellist Yo-Yo Ma, soprano Christine Steyer and others, features music in response to gun violence in our cities. Steyer and pianist Marta Johnson perform the aria “Red is a Trick” from Bellissima’s upcoming opera, Future Perfect by David Shenton, lyricsContinue reading “Radio”
- VideoArtist-led music and poetry sessions in classrooms result in student art and writings. Bellissima Opera’s five-year project with 1,300 Chicago area youth culminates in the opera Future Perfect. Produced by Working In Concert’s Bellissima Opera, Future Perfect and On Call premiere at the Vittum Theater in Chicago in June 2021.
- Bellissima Opera Outreach Brings Free Music to Over 23,000 StudentsOur outreach program recently performed at Kinzie Elementary, Lane Tech HS and Al Raby HS in Chicago, bringing the number of students to whom we have brought free music exceeding 23,000.